Sunday, February 1, 2015

Three Things I Wish To Do Right Now

We the human beings on planet earth have formed societies that we chose to operate as. The doings of these societies collectively has helped us evolve from being animal-like to what we are today. That is what they say when you got what you wanted in life "give back to the society" and its true,for its this society that sustains and helps those that weren't born with a silver spoon in their mouths. I a person who has traveled from living a small town sans any facilities even today to making it to doing a doctorate with United Nations wouldn't have happened if there weren't those that made me believe that it was possible. Those that fueled my imagination. Those that helped me with books in their collections for we had no, correction even today have not even a single bookstore or a good public library. I owe it to those who started small astronomy club where we for the first time saw the Moon, Jupiter, Venus and Saturn. My interest in science developed because I had the right kind of teachers who would work hard for a meager salary to get our concepts right and wont mind us disturbing them with our doubts. Where we didn't we never loved those subjects and don't have the hang of it till date. The place I belong to till today doesn't have an internet connection good enough for you to buffer a TedTalk and watch it. So people are its only resources. 

Everyone has intentions to give back and time and money are huge factors there. I haven't been able to do things to the scale I wish to but would definitely do it once my education is done with and I have the economic resources. So here are the things on my list:

1. Setting Up A Public Library: If you take a tour around the content of this blog, its facebook and twitter handle, all you will find is book reviews and interviews. Yes, I am one of those bookworms who buries their face deep into them and can live with books alone. Books have motivated me more than people sometimes and hey have been with me in every stage inspiring me to go on. The sad part however is I developed the hobby very late. It was in graduation that I touched my first novel and started backwards to Famous five and Hardy boys which was much below my age. Reason I never had access to those. As a child I just read the fairy tales book my uncle gifted (each one still safe with me) when he came from Australia or the few encyclopedia's my friends dad's would lend me. I never went to more refined reading but today Paulo Coehlo is my Guru and its his book the Alchemist that inspired me the most when I failed most miserably so far. Had I not got that philosophy to stand there longer till I changed my starts, will I be the fighter I am? Not sure, I therefore wish to set up a public library for even today the books I donate have a minimum reach (the people I donate it to). A library however can be accessed by so many children and it would be amazing to see those books in little hands that I never got and those little eyes wide with suspense when reading Enid Blyton. 

2. Setting Up A Non Virtual Science Club:  If you read the first paragraph well, you know that practically showing a scientific principle at work or a planet inspired me. I would love to do the same by going into school and demonstrating these to the children. Theory is boring, sometimes too difficult to imagine. What is inspiring is looking at the onion peel or your own blood sample under a microscope and see the world beyond our imagination and reach come alive. That is the only thing that can motive children towards doing and understanding Science.

I being a student of Biology feel that there is a huge gap between people who do Science and those who don't. For example most people do not know the generic alternatives to expensive medicines that can save so much money doctors wrongly make. Many people in India still believe in myths that have no Scientific basis like "A black cat crossing your way is a bad omen". We are a country full of such nonsense. Science is rational and the only weapon to gap the religious, caste and creed and any form of divide and logical reasoning by science, the fact that its not Lord Vishnu or Jesus that created the world, the big band did can avoid humanity and lot of wars and save a lot of lives. In the era of artificial intelligence it is only a paradox that these extremes exist even in developed nations who can kill for their God. Imagine all these barriers vanishing if we connect the long gap between scientists and society.

I run an online club called Science Matrix on Facebook but I would like to expand it into doing all of the above soon. 

3. Take A Short Break And Write That Book:  Its not uncommon for an avid reader to love writing. I started this blog for the reason and writing has helped me evolve too. Like the books that inspired me I wish to tell stories around me that can inspire people, I wish to write popular Science that can make it more interesting for people who find textbooks boring. I have also tried writing character sketches an Indian Voldemort or a super villian, a robotic super hero( way before I knew about Optimus Prime :P). I love when I gave to the little children in my family and they asked me wondering where I found such a man and then what all could he do, etc. endless questions. Thoughts when put on paper gives peace, inspires people and sometimes entertain them. I wish to be a part of someones life journey like Paulo Coehlo or Brian Greene is now of so many students. But writing cannot happen for me without isolation. So as soon as I submit my thesis with my savings I shall take a sabbatical and go to a calm place like Dharamsala and write that first book and do it till I think its worth a read. 

 “This post is a part of the #SecondChance activity at BlogAdda in association with MaxLife Insurance”.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Congrats Nimi you won in this contest :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks, I checked after you told me about it :P. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete