Monday, March 17, 2014

The Other Side by Faraaz Kazi and Vivek Banerjee

Title: The Other Side 
Author:  Faraaz Kazi and Vivek Banerjee
Category: Fiction (Horror)
Publisher: Mahaveer Publishers
Date: 2013
Price: Rs. 150
Pages: 264

Snapshot: All the children who have grown up in India, has amongst other things inherited a lot of stories from grandparents and parents. The most bizarre of these and the most loved are of course the horror stories. A few friends gather on a night on one's terrace and what are they interested in telling each other? Ghost stories, yes! indeed that atmosphere is the best setting to feel the thrill and exchange those happenings that one cant explain and has happened to people around us. Isn't it? This book is a tribute to that love we have for our ghost stories. 

Its a collection of 13 short stories with a component of "unusual" meant to scare you.

The Review:  This is the first book in this genre written by an Indian author that I have ever read. My style of judging such books is simple, just read them in the solitude that the night presents and while reading a little sound, even a mosquito or a door opening by wind scares you, the story is then worth it. I did the same with this one.

The stories mostly are on a variety of elements that can scare one as the authors describe right at the beginning, trying to describe "fear". The components of the recipe to scare the readers include the good ghosts, the bad ghosts, psychopaths, spirits and legendary creatures.

The stories I loved the most are Possession,The Muse Comes Calling,  The Long Weekend , That Fateful Night and most of all Unfulfilled Desires. The rest were enjoyable too but somehow it was either close to something I had heard before, since I am so much the person discussing ghost stories with a group of friends at night. However overall the book served its purpose and when I was reading it and now while writing this review even as the wind ruffles a distant paper bag against the table I sit on and I am scared to look, who knows what it may be? You can never be sure, can you?

The Review:
Positives:  Most stories are very different from each other and hence the reader is always looking out for what next. Right from the Prelude the authors have left no stone unturned to inculcate the fear factor. You begin feeling while you read that there may be someone along with you reading this right this moment. The book is well written, crisp and leaves the reader wanting more.

Negatives: The thumb rule whole writing an anthology is that the formula for surprise should repeat itself and if the author uses the same tactics a reader will always identify. Also some stories were similar to what he have heard many a times, though not the same thing but similar versions.

The Verdict: With the book now being available just at INR 98, just begin one weekend challenging yourself with a thrill of horror and you will only want to ask the authors what happens post where the leave us wondering and waiting for the sequel. 3.5 stars on 5.


I thank the author Faraaz Kazi for a review copy.



2 comments:

  1. Seriously Nimi! You liked the book? Maybe because this is the first one in then genre.
    I have completely opposite views about this book. Being a big fan of horror genre since like years, I was highly disappointed with this book. There wasn't a single story I didn't hear of.. There was nothing sort of 'new' in the book.
    You know sometimes it happens the story is same but u still enjoy it because of the different characters.. I didn't even find that.
    I am sorry but this book, according to me, should certainly not be preferred by fans of horror genre.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the book myself partly because I havent read many horror genre books and partly because these stories gave me a medium to relive my childhood days to narrating ghostly tales to friends and betting on who got spooked first! :)

    Checkout my review here: http://njkinny.blogspot.in/2014/03/bookreview-other-side-dare-to-visit.html

    -Nikita @ Njkinny's World of Books

    ReplyDelete