Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Classic Tales from Mystic India by Kamla K. Kapur

 Title: Classic Tales from Mystic India
Author: Kamla K. Kapur
Category: Fiction
Publisher: Jaico Publishing House
Date:  2013
Price: Rs.225
Pages:160

I decided to read this book post reading its review on my friends blog http://bit.ly/1e1Ox9o. I really enjoyed reading this book. 

Every child in India especially the ones who have been lucky to live with their grandparents savor the stories of Gods and Goddesses that they lulled them them to sleep. I still have that child alive in me, I need a story before I sleep, when I fall ill, when I am celebrating, all in all a story is my panacea and the elixir of my life (hence this blog). My maternal grandmother is an encyclopaedia of stories and no sooner did my vacations began I used to run to her place for she had the best set of stories. I spend my nights in the company of Gods, their magical pure ways, teaching me and taking me to beautiful far off lands, as far as the child in me could imagine.

The cover page of this book brought back that very child me and I started reading it the same day that it arrived. The stories in this book are systematically divided and clubbed. Before each story begins there is a beautiful picture of Gods/characters (in case of Mahabharata and Ramayana) and a crisp description about them so that even a person who has no inkling about Hindu religion can grasp it all. This is followed by the stories, some of which i knew, courtesy grandmother, some I didn't. However the details in each story are intricate and so even in the stories I had heard before there were details I never heard before.

Shiva being my favorite God I loved his stories the most. Yes I am partial. The Brahma and Vishnu stories are simply mesmerizing and the author describes them all really well.
 
The Verdict: 
Positives:  Coverpage is brilliant, irresistible. Great collection of stories, well written, simple language , crisp. Pictures are beautiful. Even a total stranger to Hinduism can read and enjoy them.

Negatives: Some places the pictures became too many and irrelevant. the author also tried to be scientific at many places however there were minute inaccuracies which I being a student of science believe one should be very particular about, when attempting something.

Overall: 3.5 stars on 5. Took me back to my old days. A treat for the child in you. A must read.


I thank Jaico Publishing House for a review copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment