Saturday, April 20, 2013

Music in my Life...Music Therapy A serendipity

''Music is the art of the heart, 
  reflection of the soul,
  & a healer of all pain" 


Music I believe is not just a part of life but it is the colour that brings life to life. What had been a day like if you didn't hear sparrows chirp outside your window? Or birds calling each other at sunset to return back home? What  if there was no music to soothe you when you were upset?

Apart from music bringing melody to life, there is one important application of it "healing". Not only has "Music Therapy" advanced as a field of science (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_therapy) but what I shall speak of now is experimented on myself. I as a child had severe headaches which would emerge suddenly without a cause. I tried the traditional medicines, to homeopathy, ayurveda etc. Everything would relieve me of the symptoms for just sometime, some better than the other. It would come again. Then one day I just started listening to an audio-casette of Taal, music by A.R.Rahaman (ofcourse just the slow songs) and slowly I started feeling better. I had loved his music in the movie and started listening to them everyday. It was serendipity that my headache episodes reduced and finally now I get them very rarely. When I do I just listen to the A.R.Rahaman instrumental playlist on my laptop. 



Though music therapy came to me serendipitously, my inquisitive scientific mind researched on it only to find the recent advances in the field. It has proven to be effective for fatal diseases such as Cancer, Autism, AIDS etc.     (http://www.themusictherapytrust.com/therapy.html#1)

Music truly heals. 

Now you too can remain connected to the world of music with HP Connected Music, all you need is a single click https://ssl.www8.hp.com/in/en/ad/hp-connected-music/overview.html


4 comments:

  1. Great to hear about your music as a therapy journey. I explored music therapy as a field during my Masters' dissertation and look forward to work on the same as a part of my Post-doctoral work sometime in the near future. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all thanx for the compliments. What subject are you pursuing a doctorate in?

      Delete